Well, its a new day. I'm starting radiation therapy and its going to last for at least 5 weeks, 5 days a week. But the doctor assures me that I'll be in and out in a flash. We'll see. Steve asked him if the radiation would interfere with my trip to New Orleans in June and was assured it wouldn't. That's why I married that guy!
The funny part is, this is the very first doctor I saw when I was diagnosed in December 2009. After my biopsy, we went to his office and he told me that he was very sorry, but he couldn't do any more for me. I wasn't eligible for radiation therapy or surgery, but he could refer me to the clinical trials for chemotherapy.
Today, he says I'm one of maybe 5 people he's seen to survive this long without surgery. So, I'm a freak of nature. Is anyone surprised?
Radiation or not, I'm still doing "Purple Stride" in June. If you can make a donation, I'd appreciate it. Even better, if you'd like to join team "Boxtops" let me know! Its a 5k walk from Freedom Plaza in downtown DC on June 16th to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer research. The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network has awarded more than 3.4 million dollars in research grants this year in the effort to double the Pancreatic Cancer survivor rate.
So far, I've raised $800 and, apparently, will be the recipient of a beach towel. Work with me, people! Over $1,000 and I get a duffel bag!
- This year’s event will be the third annual PurpleStride Washington, D.C.—one of over 50 similar events held across the country.
- PurpleStride Washington, D.C. will add a timed run this year, in addition to its traditional family-friendly walk. The route will take participants past the National Mall and U.S. Capitol. The event will also include children’s activities, entertainment, refreshments and more.
- PurpleStride Washington, D.C. 2011 was highly successful having raised $289,000 and involved more than 1,400 participants.
- PurpleStride Washington D.C.’s 2012 goals are to raise over $350,000 and recruit 2,200 participants.
- PurpleStride Washington, D.C. is planned and run exclusively by volunteers, allowing more of your dollars to go directly to the cause.